星期三, 九月 26, 2007

Panicking...

Now the waiting game starts. I know I won't hear anything until probably November, but that doesn't keep me checking my email box 100 times a day. I am in the panic mode. I shouldn't be just yet, but I am. What if nobody wants me? What if my boss wants me out? What if Stella has to leave Seattle first and I gotta stay in this big cold house? This goes on and on and on until I have to check my email again, and then on and on and on...

--

Suppose there are 20 labs in the country that do the similar thing. Each lab has one postdoc ready for the job market. Each year there are about 3 to 5 openings. Then I should have an odds between 1/6 and 1/4. That doesn't seem to be terribly bad.

But I have never won a lottery, even when the odds of winning is 1/3!!

--

I love MIT. So far, they are the only one who actually wrote back. "Thank you for your interest..."

--

I don't remember that I was this anxious when I was applying for grad school. True, I really wanted to go to America, but I would have had a pretty good life in Shanghai too. But now if I can't find a job, my life will be miserable. I am gonna be a postdoc for all my life.

--

I had a pretty good sleep last night. I dreamed that I spelled a school name wrong in my application...

--

gotta check my mail... so long

2 条评论:

q15595 说...

I think the job title doesn't matter to life, whether you are a postdoc or scientist. What you have to do defines the quality of life.

Good luck! Go to CA or East Coast, no mid-no-where places.

yfabian 说...

Thanks! But... still, thanks!