星期三, 五月 30, 2007

The Beginning

I think I should start posting stuff in English in this blog. The advantages of having one Chinese/English blog instead of two separate ones are:

1. I don't have to translate everything into Chinese even when it feels awkward to do so. And I don't have to make up words when I write in English and don't know how to say stuff.

2. I don't have to pretend that I have Chinese readers who don't know any English, and I don't have to pretend that I have any readers who don't know any Chinese but still find my English writing actually worth reading.

3. English is fun! So is Chinese. (and Spanish, well, más o menos).

4. I need a place to show off the stuff that I learned from TV/movies/street... especially if it's something inappropriate to say in front of decent people.

5. Between my awful Chinese writing and terrible English writing, I can make random passer-bys of my blog to puzzle upon questions like, whether I'm a Chinese guy who tries to write in English, or an American/British/Canadian/Australian/Honolulu guy who thinks he can write in Chinese.

6. Is it so wrong to be a Ph. D. and still make lots of grammatical mistakes? Not on my blog, at least.

7. I intended to make it a top 10 list á la Letterman, but hell... let's stop at #7. It's not like I get paid by making this list anyway.

So, cheers. Voila. The beginning of culture mix.

没有评论: